The Streets Department’s 2018 Philly Leaf Recycling Program begins on Monday, November 5 and runs through Saturday, December 15. The program is one of several services provided by the Streets Department to honor the City’s on-going commitment to recycling by helping to reduce the amount of materials that reach the waste stream.
Bagged leaf drop-off will be offered city-wide on Saturdays (except for November 24th) at 23 designated locations from 9 AM to 3 PM for the duration of the program. Bagged leaves set out for collection will not be recycled but will be taken as rubbish.
Follow these tips for bagged leaf collection:
- Bagged leaf drop-off will be offered citywide at 23 locations only on Saturdays from 9am to 3pm for the duration of the program. Visitwww.philadelphiastreets.com/leaves for the full list of locations.
- The locations for our area are as follows:
- Broad & Christian Streets
- 20th & Hartranft Street
- 15th & Bigler Streets
- Bagged leaves will only be accepted in biodegradable paper bags. These bags can be processed for recycling along with the leaves. This reduces contamination in the recycling process.
- Do not mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves. This contaminates leaves and makes them unfit for recycling purposes.
- Use as many bags as needed, maximum 40 lbs. each.
- The Streets Department does not provide biodegradable bags. Residents may purchase them at their local home improvement stores.
- Bagged leaves may also be taken to any of the Sanitation Convenience Centers:
- 3033 S. 63rd Street (63rd & Passyunk Ave.)
- Leaves set out curbside, either in bags or containers; will be collected as rubbish, not recycling.
Follow these tips for mechanical leaf collection:
- All leaves should be raked and ready for collection by 7:00 AM the day of mechanical collection. Rake leaves into the street by the curb’s edge (piling is not necessary).
- If possible, move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, so crews can remove leaves along the curb line.
- Mechanical collection crews will visit routes only once. Residents are urged to sweep and bag any remaining leaves and take them to any of the set out for collection on trash day or take to any bagged drop-off locations or Sanitation Convenience Center.
- No collection will occur on a City holiday.
During this six-week program, leaves will be collected for composting purposes, like, fertilizing gardens and nourishing trees.
2018 MECHANICAL LEAF COLLECTION and RECYCLING SCHEDULE
Friday, November 16, 2018
- 17th to 22nd Street, from Oregon Avenue to Ritner Street